I. Respect and Care for the Community of Life
- 1. Respect Earth and life in all its diversity.
- 2. Care for the community of life with understanding, compassion and love.
- 3. Build democratic societies that are just, participatory, sustainable and peaceful.
- 4. Secure Earth's bounty and beauty for present and future generations.
II. Ecological Integrity
- 5. Protect and restore the integrity of Earth's ecological systems, with special concern for biological diversity and the natural processes that sustain life.
- 6. Prevent harm as the best method of environmental protection and, when knowledge is limited, apply a precautionary approach.
- 7. Adopt patterns of production, consumption and reproduction that safeguard Earth's regenerative capacities, human rights and community well-being.
- 8. Advance the study of ecological sustainability and promote the open exchange and wide application of the knowledge acquired.
III. Social and Economic Justice
- 9. Eradicate poverty as an ethical, social and environmental imperative.
- 10. Ensure that economic activities and institutions at all levels promote human development in an equitable and sustainable manner.
- 11. Affirm gender equality and equity as prerequisites to sustainable development and ensure universal access to education, health care and economic opportunity.
- 12. Uphold the right of all, without discrimination, to a natural and social environment supportive of human dignity, bodily health and spiritual well-being, with special attention to the rights of indigenous peoples and minorities.
IV. Democracy, Nonviolence, and Peace
- 13. Strengthen democratic institutions at all levels, and provide transparency and accountability in governance, inclusive participation in decision-making, and access to justice.
- 14. Integrate into formal education and lifelong learning the knowledge, values and skills needed for a sustainable way of life.
- 15. Treat all living beings with respect and consideration.
- 16. Promote a culture of tolerance, nonviolence and peace.